Re: Evolution 2.0.2 feedback : lots of crashes and problems + how to generate a backtrace?

Hi,

I've had multiple problems, even crash situations in all my builds of
Evolution 1.4.x and Evolution 2.x (I'm using Solaris 9/SPARC, not Linux). I've
reported some of them, if they were repeatable; some involved problems with
LDAP (searching contacts, modifying the "To:" line with the contacts added
etc.).

Currently: I'm using Evo 2.0.2, with newest GTK+ (2.4.13 as of today), and
glib and gtk+ are compiled with "--enable-debug" (as it is default in gtk+ and
glib garnome packages last weeks).

The stability of Evolution seems to be very improved, right now I cannot
reproduce any of the former crashes.

I'm not testing Evo heavily, but as our company uses LDAP for contacts, I will
report all the bugs I can to Bugzilla and see if the developer could find the
problem.

Also, if you like, you can (re)compile your evolution with --enable-debug
added to CONFIGURE_ARGS and let the bottom of the office/evolution/Makefile
look like:

include ../category.mk
CFLAGS += -g
CPPFLAGS += -g
CONFIGURE_ARGS := $(shell echo $(CONFIGURE_ARGS) | sed
's,--disable-debug,--enable-debug=minimal,')

The debugging information would be compiled in and the backtrace will be more
useful for the developers.

Also, to debug crashing Evo, you can use the option of running Evolution in
GDB as proposed in the other mail, or you can attach to the evolution just
when it crashes - don't close the application, just look for the pid od
evolution-2.0 and use gdb like this

gdb /opt/gnome/libexec/evolution-2.0 PID

where PID is PID of the evolution (you may use pidof if it works for you).
Off course, use full path to your evolution installation.

I'm writing from the top of my head, no Evo here, so I hope there's no mistake
in my post.

Regards,
Ivan
--

  Ing. Ivan Noris
  System engineer, Business Global Systems, a.s.