Re: Gnome 2.6.2

MW wrote:

Hi,

I'm kinda caught in the middle here because I love GARNOME (I'm a Linux From Scratch system owner) but I also crave stability and reliability above the flashiest new features. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Gnome 2.6.2 as the system to be running, but I have the following couple of questions.

1) Is there going to be a Garnome release of 2.6.2 available from the download page without using Arch (which quite frankly scared me after a couple of unsuccesful attempts)

What wen't wrong with your attempts on using tla. I was a bit scared in the beginning too, but with some tips I got it running.

This is what I had to-do

tla register-archive http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/arch

and then for the stable branch

tla get pd cipherfunk org--projects/garnome--timmy--2.6.0

and for the expirimental branch

tla get jdub perkypants org--projects/garnome--kenny--2.7

2) Does the fact that there was no download of Gnome 2.6.0 final release suggest (as my experience seems to conclude) that there's no way to build a stable system around Gnome 2.6.0. Everything relating to my experience with Gnome 2.6.0 has served to shake my confidence in Gnome as a beautiful and rewarding desktop experience.

Mhhh, I hope that building the stable branch will solve your problems here :-)

Thanks for any responses that I recieve,

Mark

Cheers,

Stef