Re: unable to start garnome

Hi,

> Thanks, yes both .xinitrc and .xsessions are executable.  I logged out
> and in again and it is GDM that is the desktop login manager is being
> used.  I read somewhere about there being a new choice in the menu, it
> allows me to choose last, gnome, Ice and default.  I've tried all and
> keep coming back to Gnome 2.4 instead of Garnome.

The new choice will only appear when editing /etc/gdm (or
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions ? ) directory, and adding new session script. I've
Garnome installed on MDK 9.1, but at home.

Anyway, you should be able to create new file called "Garnome" in
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions - the content should be effectively the same as in
Garnome's README.

You need reload/restart GDM then.

The session script should be executable. And beware! Mandrake with its
msec security features will perhaps remove the exec bit after each
reboot, so the session will dissapear from GDM. I've resolved this by
creating /etc/rc.local, which will chmod the script back to executable.

ANother way is to log in to console shell and "startx". .xsession or
.xinitrc (don't know which one exactly) should be run then by X server.

Regards,
V.
--
  Ing. Ivan Noris
  System engineer, Business Global Systems, a.s.