Re: The Garnome Home Page

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 13:46, Paul Miller wrote:
> You mean that all that old gnome stuff is just going to sit up in /usr
> FOREVER taking up space? I'm on a single-user machine without a huge
> disk and it seems kinda wasteful. For a box with multiple users, does
> each user need to have a garnome directory taking up 6.9G? When/how does
> 'root' on such a machine update to Gnome 2.4 for ALL users? (Maybe root
> installs somewhere else & tells everybody to update their .*rc files and
> session scripts, or just changes a symbolic link and it's done, but the
> old gnome stuff still lingers)

If you are never going to use the old GNOME in /usr, then uninstall it.
Obviously everyone build it on a multi-user box is madess, if you want
everyone to use it, install it into /opt/gnome26 once.  Root can create
this folder and give some blessed user permission to write into that
directory, who then does all of the building and installing.

> I'm wondering about people who maybe NEVER open up a terminal window and
> don't want to. What is their path to getting the latest gnome?

The packages their distributor provides.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./