Re: The Garnome Home Page

Ross Burton wrote:

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 04:48, Paul Drain wrote:
3) Assuming I'm happy with my current version of garnome, could I, should I, install it as root in /usr ?
Thomasvs came up with a good answer for this:

"Never ever ever install stuff from source to /usr unless you are
completely sure that this is what you want and the only way to work
around something. If you don't know if it is, the answer is it isn't."

Call this Ross' Expansion:

"And even if you think you know it is, it probably isn't. Don't."

Ross, whose build system would refuse to  install into /usr (if he ever
wrote a build system)

You mean that all that old gnome stuff is just going to sit up in /usr FOREVER taking up space? I'm on a single-user machine without a huge disk and it seems kinda wasteful. For a box with multiple users, does each user need to have a garnome directory taking up 6.9G? When/how does 'root' on such a machine update to Gnome 2.4 for ALL users? (Maybe root installs somewhere else & tells everybody to update their .*rc files and session scripts, or just changes a symbolic link and it's done, but the old gnome stuff still lingers)

I think the problem is that garnome is intended for 'testers & tweakers' and people who DO know how to compile, and that's as it should be, but I'm wondering about people who maybe NEVER open up a terminal window and don't want to. What is their path to getting the latest gnome? The gnome.org download page ONLY gives you the choice between sources and garnome. Since so many new users ARE being sent here, they should be given links or advice on installing a stable Gnome 2.* for their particular distro - if these things exist. Or if you want the latest stable Gnome do you have to buy a new distro cd? Actually, this should be done on the gnome.org site, so maybe I'm raising this on the wrong list. I haven't yet looked at the pages for kde or other desktops to see how they do it, but I will just out of curiosity.

I love Gnome & want it to succeed, and I think one way to do that is by providing an easy, your-mom-can-do-it install path. Probably somebody's already doing this or it's already done, but neither the garnome nor gnome sites say anything about it.

Please don't take this as a rant :)

--

Paul Miller
location one verizon net