upgrading from timmy 2.6.1 branch to 2.6.2 tarball

Is it possible to do this without deleting all my GNOME dot files?  I've
done it and things work mostly fine.... except that setting my URL
handler via "Preferred Applications" now has two problems:

1.  Neither option is ever selected.

2.  Selecting "Custom Web Browser" doesn't work.

Given that neither option is selected, it makes me wonder if something
changed between 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 in the gconf keys.  I've filed bug
147452 in bugzilla.gnome.org for this, but I'm wondering if anyone knows
if this might be a simple upgrade issue.  Thanks!

Raul