mime woes

Is there a trick in getting files associated with applications?

I have gnome/desktop installed (via garnome) to /opt/gnome-2.9.3
I have XDG_DATA_DIRS set to /opt/gnome-2.9.3/share
I have run # update-mime-database /opt/gnome-2.9.3/share/mime as root
I have rebooted.

I do not have any files associated with programs (except for README
files which I set manually via nautilus)

If I logout and login to gnome 2.8.1 (installed with FC3) all works
fine.

shared-mime-info-0.15 was installed from /bootstrap during the desktop
installation.

TIA