Re: Stable GARNOME via arch

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 14:55 -0700, Bob Kashani wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 10:26, Stef van der Made wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > I'll just wait for a cvs version or the next release of garnome. This
> > arch stuff is too complicated for my simple brain.
> >

> Hi, Stef,
>
> I'm assuming that's a subtle way of saying that my howto sucks. :-)

Don't assume that, Bob. I think it's a good howto, but still Arch is a
lot more difficult to use than it should (and a lot more difficult than
its competitors). Arch is a far way from being as easy to use as
something like CVS or Subversion. It may be able to do anything
including making coffee, but even simple operations tend to require
several long magical incantations.

I use the Arch repository to get a 2.6.0 version of Garnome since it's
by far the easiest way to install GNOME. And there is _still_ no tarball
for 2.6.0. It may make some sense since Garnome is for testing, not
distributing stable GNOME releases. I think it would have made sense to
make a 2.6.0 release to make more people test so 2.6.1 could be even
better than it is going to be.

Bottom line: Garnome is supposed to be about testing GNOME, not Arch
(yes yes, Arch is very l33t and all that).

/Jens