Building GNOME 2.6

Hi list,

I haven't found any usable information on building GNOME 2.6, or any specific
release. Compiling the whole stuff is pretty scary. I've tried it once, built
circa 20-30 packages successfully, but I got very tired of it and won't do anymore.

Question 1: How can I (painlessly) build a new stable GNOME release?

Question 2: How can I use GARNOME without the CVS. So I've got the whole source
tree on my hard drive and I want to build it.

Thanks in advance.

--
Laci