Re: GARNOME 0.27.1 Patchset available

> > * fix-bison-build : updates bison to 1.875 to solve pwlib compilation
> > errors
>
> Applied. (RH's bison doesn't work? This is really only here for platforms
> that don't have bison at all...)

It doesn't appear to - Red Hat's pwlib includes the odd hack to get
around it -- but this seemed like a cleaner solution, especially if you
are building pwlib in your GARNOME tree.

> > * fix-glib-build : fixes glib 2.2.3 compilation with iconv from
> > bootstrap/
>
> Why are you using this on RH? I've added the =gnu, but left it commented. It
> should only be required on 'odd' platforms.

See the 'reasons for these patches' bit in my original e-mail, RH9
"Minimal + XFree86 + devel" fails in several places for a lack of a
suitable -liconv.

> > * update-gnome-garballs : updates a bunch of post-2.4 garballs in gnome/
> >
> > * update-office-garballs : updates gnome-office to 1.0
>
> Present locally.

Figured as much :)

> > * update-misc-garballs : adds a bunch of things Red Hat can't (or won't)
> > provide RPMs for in misc/ (like gpgme and libmusicbrainz) and updates
> > the dependancies for various garballs so you can build them in your
> > GARNOME tree.
>
> Not applied. ;-)

...figured that too :(

> > * add-gnome-patches : adds a bunch of extra patches to ease compilation
> > or to address crashes or bugs that have already been ACKed by various
> > developers.
>
> Not applied. Need to ensure patches are in and releases are out.

All the patches in that patchset, aside from the garnome-items-only one
(which is mainly to clean up GARNOME's menu structure) have been ACKed
by their various maintainers it seems.

It was put together in case there weren't suitable releases to upgrade
to before the GARNOME arrived.

> > ( this patch also includes the Freetype kerning patch that was discussed
> > on-list a week or so ago, which makes the subpixel font option much more
> > readable on my 15" LCD )
>
> Are a lot of people seeing this?

Not sure, the default fonts at 1024x768 are completely unreadable on the
same monitor _without_ this patch though.

Having said that, the same setup works flawlessly on a myriad of CRT and
TFT monitors here - so it could be a corner case for the freetype guys.

> > Then there are some optional patches for people interested
> >
> > * revert-nautilus-cd-burner : reverts 0.5.3 to the 0.5.0.1 stable
> > release, which happens to work with my LG CD/DVD burner.
>
> Applied, fuckup on my part, sorry!

No problem.

> > * revert-mozillaisms : adds mozilla as a build dependency to Epiphany,
> > removes Galeon and changes the build dependencies for Mozilla to _only
> > build the browser_ (and not composer, the mail client or anything else
> > that Epiphany does not directly require)
>
> Not applied. ;-)

Could you at least apply the Mozilla/ Makefile change from this then,
waiting an extra hour on a Pentium 366 for a mail client and a web
editor to build, that most people have no intention of using in favour
of their specific GNOME counterparts must be somewhat annoying.

I figured you'd drop most of this though :)

> I don't *really* want to add gdk-pixbuf, 'cos it's 1.x-code, but it is kinda
> cool being able to use the 1.x themeage if you're using 1.x stuff. If anyone
> feels like doing the autofoo work to make redhat-artwork and ximian-artwork
> selectively build the 1.x stuff, that would be very cool.

Already working on it, i'll let you know what I come up with.

Regards,

Paul