Install Issues with 0.27.1

Hi to all on the list,

I've had a couple of issues installing garnome on my PC, so I figured this was the best place to try and get some help. I did search the archives first, but didn't get any results returned. :(

My first issue relates to libsmbclient, which is required by gnome-vfs-extras. I read on a mailing list somewhere that it's usually enough to get a copy of libsmbclient.h into your /usr/include folder to stop garnome dropping out of the install script. However, I've tried that and I was still getting an error reading:

cannot find '-lsmbclient.la'

So I found out which package libsmbclient was shipped with (Samba) and downloaded the Samba source to /usr/src. I built Samba, making sure that I'd included the option to build the libsmbclient shared library in the configure command, and that the library files should be going into /usr/lib while the include files should be going into /usr/include. I then checked the /usr/include and /usr/lib folders to see if anything had been installed, but there was still nothing relating to 'smbclient' or 'libsmbclient'. I have tried three different releases of Samba:

2.0.3
2.2.8a and
3.0 RC4

none of which has given me any success. (I have double-checked /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include just in case...) Any help on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Because I'm a bit of a newbie to Linux in general and I couldn't figure out how to get around this problem elegantly, I took the bull in the china shop approach and redid the make install with the '-i' option to ignore errors. This has built me a gnome system that starts up and seems to function ok, but there are issues with it. The most obvious is the lack of icons. Every icon is a picture of a blank piece of paper, even the trashcan. Is this likely to be due to the gnome-vfs-extras issue or is something else borked? Also no themes available at startup (is that just a case of downloading a separate package?)

Equally, I'm installing garnome to /opt/garnome because I want the finished product to be runnable by several users. I downloaded and installed it as root, what permissions/ownership do I need to give to garnome to allow my trusted users access to garnome without introducing huge security holes in my system?

I know I'm asking a lot, I'd be grateful for any help at all on these, the libsmbclient issue in particular is beginning to bug me...

Thanks,

Mark