New file selector for GTK+

Hey all.

After reading the great write up of Gnome-2.4 at eWeek, (see:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1270475,00.asp ) I decided to try
out the patches the article refers to for changing the gtk+ file
selector.

It worked quite well, so I thought I'd share the process with the list.

Go to this page:
http://members1.chello.nl/~h.lai/gtkenhancements/index.html for more
information.

Download these files:
http://members1.chello.nl/~h.lai/gtkenhancements/gtkfilesel.patch
http://members1.chello.nl/~h.lai/gtkenhancements/gtktoolbar.patch

Place the files in <garnome>/gnome/gtk+/files

Edit <garnome>/gnome/gtk+/Makefile and add the file names to the end ot
the listing of PATCHFILES.  (I renamed the patch files above *.diff to
be uniform, but you shouldn't need to?)

run "make clean && make makesum && make install" and everything should
go fine.

Restart gnome (log out - log in).

Now you should have a dramatically different file selector.

NOTES: I'm not sure this will be the one eventually included with GTK+
as there is much discussion over this still (AFAIK), but it's still a
vast improvement.

The web page states that the diffs are for gtk+-2.2.3, and the patch
files state gtk+2.2.2 while garnome uses gtk+-2.2.4 but it all seems to
fork fine.  YMMV.

Enjoy,

Rodd

--
"Some Australians have, I fear, become desensitised to habitual
government dishonesty. I'm not one of them."

                                    -- Andrew Wilkie, Former ONA analyst