Re: Should GARNOME always build Mozilla?

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 16:28, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Bart Kuik">
>
> > I think it's good to find a way to check if certain versions of software
> > are already installed, check the version and capabilities (like gtk2 for
> > moz), and skip the package if the 'old' one is OK.
>
> GARNOME's objective is to provide a testing environment for GNOME. Some
> people have suggested this before, to the nth degree, such as not building
> GTK+ if it's already available. This would make it *very* difficult to
> understand bugs coming from GARNOME systems. We need a consistent testing
> framework, with known variables on the platforms it builds on. It is very
> unlikely that I will add this.

Another important reason to not rely on OS provided things is that they
are rarely compiled with debugging symbols and they are usually stripped
which means backtraces are much less useful.

I don't think build time matters really. As long as things compile
fairly well, the build phase is very small compared to the test phase
(ie. running the stuff). I build Gnome on what is nowadays considered
slow hardware, but so what if it takes half a day extra? I can wait for
that.

Cheers,
Jens