Help with libbz2?

I'm trying to install Garnome 0.27.1 on my Redhat 9 system but it quits
a few hours into the compile process with an error message that I
need libbz2.

I've tried installing the bzip2-devel package but unfortunately the
package does not seem to be installing correctly. When I double-click
the rpm in nautilus (running under RH's default gnome 2.2 setup) it
tells me the package has already been installed.

However, if I try querying the package from rpm in a terminal, I'm told
that the package is not installed.

Additionally, I have downloaded the bzip2 source from
http://sources.redhat.com/bzip2/ but I'm not sure which folder I would
have to put them in, if these are the right sources.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Daniel Hiester