mozilla 1.4b and java plugin

I compiled garnome 0.24.2 but I updated it from moz 1.4a to 1.4b and now
I need to install the Java Plugin but is says:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1_08/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
[/usr/local/jdk1.3.1_08/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
undefined symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID]

I guess this is something related to the compiler, i'm using gcc 3.2.2
from Mandrake 9.1

Does somebody know how to make this plugin work with mozilla?
What version of mozilla/gcc/java do I need to make it work?

I just installed the Flash plugin and it worked just fine.

---

Another problem is that mozilla 1.4b doesnt honor the --enable-xft
directive.  Mozilla uses ugly fonts in the app and doesn't recognize the
fonts installed in the system, so I can't use the Vera Fonts. :-(

This used to work fine with previous versions of garnome and mozilla
1.4a

TIA,

-William