Re: Problem building vte-0.11.6 in garnome-0.24.2

:* sams  writes:

 | Mario Vukelic (mario vukelic dantian org) wrote:
 || On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 15:40, Eric Moncrieff wrote: > :
 || >
 || > I also have an error, but it's different:
 || Get that too, on woody

 | It is due to the old compiler.  VTE wants to be compiled with the
 | 3.x compiler, but you can hack around it.  Basically, take line 316
 | of that file (I think it is 316 anyway) and move it down about 3
 | lines to after all the declarations are done.  This is gcc not
 | wanting to initialize a variable before all the other variables
 | have been declared.  It is allowed in 3.x because it is just a
 | pointer initialization.

Cool.  Thanks!

This just (a few minutes ago) worked for me.

I'm curious: would another solution have been to define CC=gcc-3.2 in
gar.conf.mk?  Then I would be using the new compiler (which apparently
produces better code most of the time) for the whole operation, no?

I guess there's a way to override the default settings on a
per-package basis, such that VTE could have CC=gcc-3.2 and the rest of
the stuff could use 2.95...Is there some sort of conditionalisation
available within gar.conf.mk, so I could do something like:

if ( there-exists gcc-3.2 ) {
        CC=gcc-3.2
} else {
        CC=gcc