Re: tiny font fix (kinda)

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Mike Wyer">
>
> > It's just a shame that KDE can get this right, but the gnome developers
> > can't.
> >
> > I'm happy sticking with gnome (and garnome), but there are lessons to be
> > learned here.
>
> AGAIN, can you please read posts to the list about this issue. It has SFA to
> do with the "gnome developers" getting anything wrong. Please, read the
> directions and screw your brainstem back in correctly.

I did try to read the mailing lists as thoroughly as possible before
trying to fix it myself (the indexing for searches only starts a couple of
weeks back, so you can't search recent postings). Hell, I would be
unutterably stupid not to :)

So I tried the potential fixes I found:

rm .gconf / kill gconfd ? Nope.
pango-querymodules ? Nope.
rm .fonts.cache-1 ? Nope.

The "main_DESTDIR ?= /" change? Maybe. It wasn't mentioned much on the
list, I didn't have any problems compiling garnome, and I fixed my fonts
without a recompile or reinstall. Maybe it's an important fix, and fixes
other stuff, but there is at least one more way to fix the font issue.

And there wasn't any definitive conclusion, explanation, or other input to
say "this is the right fix for this reason". No "Important note for users
of 0.22.0" posting.

I only posted my notes to help out anyone stuck in the same situation, and
a bunch of people have since contacted me for more details, so I know I'm
not the only one. It's incredibly frustrating to go through the whole
process of downloading, compiling, and installing only to find the product
is basically unusable. For a beta, I wouldn't mind at all. For an official
release of gnome, installed via a recommended method, running into a
"known" issue without any mention of it on a faq or errata list is just
painful.

If you want someone with permanent net access to help collecting errata
and fixes, I'm happy to volunteer. Garnome is cool, and a worthwhile
project, and I was originally trying to help. That still stands. Sorry for
the outburst, confusion, and any other bad feeling.

Cheers,
Mike
--
Mike Wyer     <mike wyer org>     www.wyer.org/mike     07974 254007

    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather...
  ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car"