garnome0.22.0 post-install help (newbie)

Well i finally got it installed, but i'm experiencing a few minor problems that i hope someone can help me with:

1: Anti-aliasing doesn't work. If i set GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my garnome-session my fonts either don't show or are so small they only appear as a thin line. if i set GDK_USE_XFT=0 the fonts appear at the correct size, in the correct font. Strange? Oh, but the text in the garnome splash screenand the logout dialog box appears to be anti-aliased ok when GDK_USE_XFT=1

2: I am unable to play any media with nautilus's built-in media player thingie. when i try the following text appears in the status bar: 'ERROR: no information yet'

I have searched for solutions to these problems on the list (and with google) but haven't had any luck. Any ideas? Pleease?

Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends http://messenger.msn.co.uk