Re: broken Garnome installation...

    D> On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 13:46, Eric Moncrieff wrote:
    >> It's as  though all of my  fonts are less than  one pixel high,
    >> and very  very wide...So  none of the  menus are  readable, but
    >> they all fill  the width of the screen, (i.e.  I right click on
    >> the  background, which is  black, and  it suddenly  turns white
    >> because the  menu *completely fills* it.   Furthermore, none of
    >> the  icons in  nautilus  have readable  names,  because of  the
    >> strange font problems.  The whole thing is unusable.

    D> I have almost the same  problem: no fonts whatsoever in garnome
    D> 0.22.0. I say  almost the same because unlike  Eric, mine don't
    D> seem to be  of zero height and infinite  width, but rather zero
    D> height and width.

After clearing  out a  stale ~/.gconf, (Which  reminds me:  Where does
Gnome2  put its  configuration  stuff?   I now  know  about at  least:
.gconf, .gnome,  .gnome2, .gnome_private, .gnome2_private...Where else
might there  be stale configuration  kicking around?)  I now  have the
problem exactly  as Darren  describes it.  It  is exclusively  a gnome
fonts problem;  I was  able to  open a gnome  terminal with  the right
mouse button,  which was cute with  no fonts; It was  about 100 pixels
wide, and 50 tall, and each  keypress woudl turn one pixel black; and,
typing blind, was able to open an xterm, which came up with reasonable
(normal X non-antialiased) font rendering.   From there, I was able to
launch Emacs and Phoenix, each  of which is compiled to use old-school
non-antialiased fonts, and they work fine.

My current #1  suspect is stale config...But the  trouble seems pretty
deep to be user-configurable...So I don't know.  I do know that I miss
subpixel font  rendering in Mozilla,  so any thoughts would  be deeply
appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
**
Eric Moncrieff                                    eric mantis styx org

"If a writer rewrites an essay, people who read the old version are
unlikely to complain that their thoughts have been broken by some newly
introduced incompatibility."   --Paul Graham
**
GPG Fingerprint: C278 AECC 3292 C26B E9DA  0FD7 EE20 4AA7 E1AD 0D79