How to get rid of non-truetype fonts?

GNOME/GARNOME looks very sexy with the XFT extension. I've noticed a
small problem, though: X still makes available its old fonts, and I've
put the TrueType fonts from my Windows partition into ~/.fonts to
avoid having to fiddle with my system font paths. However, some web
pages (such as my own) specify generic font names such as "roman" or
"sans-serif", and then the non-XFT-ed fonts are served, and it doesn't
look as pretty in Galeon. I can change te font specifications on my
own page, of course, but it'd be a better solution (for me, at least)
to not have any GNOME programs use the old X fonts. Is there an easy
way to do this?

On a side note, is there a GNOME 2 equivalent of "gfontsel"?

--
Åsmund Skjæveland
(OpenPGP keyid 54B975CE)