garnome/lib/libXrender.so: undefined reference to 'XMissingExtension

Hello World!

After I failed installing Gnome by myself, I tried Garnome. I followed the instructions on configuring garnome (i think) and started make install in /root/garnome-0.21.2/meta/gnome-desktop. I compiles/installs for quite a while but it always quits while compiling pango. It says
/root/garnome/lib/libXrender.so: undefined reference to 'XMissingExtension'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

then it leaves 3 directories with "error 1" and then another 5 with "error 2". I thought this might mean that I'm missing some libraries listed at http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/notes/rninstallation.html#rninstallationorder under 'Development Library dependencies' but garnome still aborts at the same point with the same messages after installing these libraries. So I guess it must be something more seriously. Can anybody tell me what to do. And please skip advice like "Switch to Debian" or "Download the RPMs". thx :-)

Martin