Re: Base to Build From

<quote who="Sid Boyce">

> I have tried various versions of garnome and cvsgnome over quite a period
> and have not ever got a successful build.

You've asked about five questions on the list. I'm not sure if you've asked
for help on #gnome or #garnome, but I'm sure that would help.

> If you start out with a working gnome from a distro, nearly every new app
> you try to build will require a succession of update upon update packages,
> you get so far and run out of road and you are left with a broken desktop
> into the bargain.

A broken desktop? You'd only get a broken desktop if you were installing
over your distribution provided software, otherwise you can just change your
X init scripts and rm -rf ~/garnome.

> I live in hope of success one fine day, but it seems to be in shifting
> sand. I appreciate the guys are working hard toward that end, but it may
> be a long hard slog from where we are now.

If there are problems with your build, and you don't ask for help, then it's
fairly likely that you'll continue to be stuck. GARNOME builds out of the
box on many systems, and if you can't identify missing dependencies or build
issues, are you really sure you're ready to be testing development releases?

Building the latest tarballs automatically can't be too much easier than it
already is.

> I suspect the developers' boxes have quite a few things installed that
> makes for success. The docs give a list of pre-reqs, but that's never the
> full list.

The GARNOME page lists the external dependencies for the meta/gnome-desktop
garball only (optional dependencies aren't listed, however). The other
garballs definitely require other software, but when things break, it's easy
to figure out what's required (especially if it's a configure-time depend).

  I wonder how many bugs have gone unfixed due to misspellings of "FIXME".