Base to Build From

I have been running gnome 1.? from SuSE 7.3 for several years. It seems
that most of the software that is now being  written is for Gnome2. I
decided that it was time to migrate to Gnome2. Someone recommended
garnome to me.
It has been a frustrating experience. Garnome is not for a novice.
I fully endorse the premise that it will supply the 'latest bleeding
edge' of gnome. In reading the mail archives, and from personal
experience, there appears to be a  continuing problems with not having
correect versions of xrender, docbook, gcc and so on.

I see from the site garnome has been aprogression of updates. I suppose
could start from the beginning and just keep updating until I am current
(yeah). On a dial up connection I'll probably die of old age befors
I get current.

I would hazard to make an assumption that there probably agoodly number
of people stepping into the middle of an on-going project. I see a need
for list of base packages (libs, compilers, includes) that are known to
work with the current version of garnome down loaded. I see a step in
the rigth direction with the bootstrap directory.

I'm trying to compile garnome 0.24.2.

Any help woild be appreciated.

Ed