Re: changing prefix install doesn't work ?

 Hi,

Do You really want to install garnome in /usr ?
Few months ago I had an idea (rather stupid idea) :

It would be nice (I hope) to implement another set of prefixes in gar.conf.mk to allow installing 'general purpose' libraries (like libxml, pango ..) in different location (/usr for example). It would be (more) nice to additionally implement switch which will allow to exlude these libraries
from dependencies and to use already installed.

Pat Suwalski wrote :

Yes, we've been over this. I think what it came down to is that because
GARNOME is intended exclusively as testing, it should never be installed
in /usr. It could easily damage a person's ability to use their computer.
Even if they did not complain here, Jeff doesn't want anyone to think that
Gnome screwed up their computer.

(Details You may find at garnome-list - November 2002)

But /opt is a safe place /usr/local probably too.
I'm using garnome installed at /opt/gnome22 (after testing it in $HOME/garnome)
and I had no major problems compiling garnome and using it.
(minor problems : missing <locale.h> in nautilus and mergeant /sometimes/
and running fc-cache as root before first start, of course)

Chris