Re: knowledge base/docs site?

On Wednesday 01 January 2003 23:56, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Matt Rose">
>
>> 	With this in mind, I've been playing around with TWiki, a
>> WikiWiki program with rcs as well, so that people could just
>> input documentation, or view it.  It seems to be fairly sensibly
>> organized, and with a little tweaking could be a great program
>> for keeping all of the documentation for GARNOME in one place,
>> sensibly organized so that people could find information quickly
>> and easily.  Is this something that people want?
>
>Thanks, but no, not a Wiki. I've said many times that Docbook
> documentation will be gratefully accepted (as it's easy to work
> with, easy to add to, easy to maintain, etc).
>
>When someone feels the urge, they'll contribute. :-)
>
>- Jeff

This may come across as me being pretty stupid, but I think it needs
to be said.

Just one problem with Docbook stuff Jeff.  In RedHat, including 8.0,
there is apparently no known method to actually read a docbook file
without also haveing to wade thru paragraphs of formatting codes,
it looks like fubared html to me when I try to read it with less or
vi.

So as far as I'm concerned, docbook is a useless format and will
continue to be so until a reader thats possibly even an editor too
is as easy to use as the man/info readers are becomes part of the
linux standard install.  Apparently it is not a universal format
AFA Red Hat is concerned.  I had it install everything the last
couple of times.

When I've asked on the mailing lists I'm on about a docbook file
reader, the general response has been 'shrug' rather than telling
me what package I need to install to be able to read and or print
such files.  Either its so darned simple its ridiculous & I can't
see the tree for all the forest, or too complicated for RedHat or
kde to actually put one in the menus.

I've about give up asking "so how DO you read a docbook file?" &
"whats its dot extension?" because the answers have not been
forthcoming so far.

So how does a redhat user actually go about reading a docbook file,
complete and properly formatted as the author intended for it to be
seen/printed?

Is there a common directory location or a $MANPATH like variable to
setup so that the reader will automaticly search the likely places
where they may be put by the "make install" routines in the
makefiles?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III 500mhz 320M