Re: gnome-system-monitor

> A dialog requesting root password pops up, and if I input a wrong
> password, it just disappears. If I put in a correct password, it uses
> the terminal and the standard login program to authenticate it, and, if
> it succeds, it prints for me on controlling terminal
>
> Lozinka: *********
> root: root: No such file or directory
>
> ("Lozinka" is a password prompt I defined in /etc/login.defs).
>
> I won't go any further with this now (because I lack the time), but I
> hope this will at least give you a hint at what's wrong.

This is because the authentication code is a bad hack and shouldn't be
there. It would work better if the program was hacked to use gnomesu
(xsu.sf.net) in the short term.

In the long run, Gnome will hopefully have a standard authentication
method that all apps can use.

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]