Re: libesmtp-1.0 won't build, libtool problem

    Rob> Hello, I've  got Debian 'woody', with  libtool, libltdl3, and
    Rob> libltdl3-deb  installed  (these   are  from  libtool  version
    Rob> 1.4.2).    I'm  in   the   process  of   'make  install'   in
    Rob> meta/gnome-fifth-toe, but it  keeps failing while looking for
    Rob> dlsym and lt_dlsym while building libesmtp-1.0 for balsa.

    Eric> I'm having this exact problem.

    Eric> Any solutions would be deeply appreciated.

Also, I think I've found the cause, and a (hacked) solution:

The configure script tests for libltdl, but throws an unknown

-std=c99

flag into  the command  line.  Running the  configure script  with the
flag

--disable-isoc

turns this  behaviour off, and the configure  script completes without
further error.

I think a good way to do this  (and correct me if I'm wrong) is to add
the desired flag to the

CONFIGURE_ARGS = $(DIRPATHS)

line in the Makefile.  This would make it:

CONFIGURE_ARGS = $(DIRPATHS) --disable-isoc

But I  don't actually know if that's  the right way to  do it, because
that's not what  I did.  (I kludged it by  resetting the default value
of the test in the configure script).

Hope this helps anyone else having this trouble.

Eric
**
Eric Moncrieff                                    eric mantis styx org

"If, in your bold creative way, you hold yourself free to draw a
giraffe with a short neck, you will really find that you are not
free to draw a giraffe."  --G. K. Chesterton
**
GPG Fingerprint: C278 AECC 3292 C26B E9DA  0FD7 EE20 4AA7 E1AD 0D79