Separate installation and runtime paths (via stow)

Hello,

I'm looking to install Garnome using Stow. I want Garnome to be "think"
it's installed under /usr/local, but actually have in installed under
/usr/local/stow/garnome (or /usr/local/stow/garnome-0.21.2 maybe). How
do I do that?

The installation instructions refer to simply going into
meta/gnome-desktop and running make install. What paths/etc do I need to
adjust to make this work? (What I expect will be the problem is the fact
that subsequent packages require previous packages already be
installed).

Thanks for any help.
-Rob