gst-plugins installation failure

hi guys,
I get compile failure and process lockup when compiling gst-plugins.
here is what the output looks like. After the CreateImage failed message,
the process just gets stuck and does not do anything. ^C kills it,
but running install again results in the same behaviour.

The system is a redhat 8.0 on a pentium4. I haven't tinkered with the
compile time flags as of yet, so everything is in its default config.

what am I missing ?

thanks for your help,
sameer

-bash-2.05b$ make install
[===== NOW BUILDING:    gst-plugins-0.6.0       =====]
        [fetch] complete for gst-plugins.
        [checksum] complete for gst-plugins.
        [extract] complete for gst-plugins.
        [patch] complete for gst-plugins.
        [configure] complete for gst-plugins.
        [build] complete for gst-plugins.
 ==> Running gst-register...
INFO ( 4150: 0) Initializing GStreamer Core Library version 0.6.0
INFO ( 4150: 0) CPU features: (00000000) MMX SSE
rebuilding global_registry
added plugin sdlvideosink with 1 feature(s)
added plugin mikmod with 1 feature(s)
added plugin jpeg with 2 feature(s)
added plugin gnomevfssink with 1 feature(s)
added plugin gnomevfssrc with 1 feature(s)
added plugin ffmpegdecall with 1 feature(s)
added plugin esdmon with 1 feature(s)
added plugin esdsink with 1 feature(s)
added plugin cdparanoia with 1 feature(s)
added plugin artsdsink with 1 feature(s)
added plugin gst_arts with 1 feature(s)
added plugin cdplayer with 1 feature(s)
added plugin videosink with 1 feature(s)
CreateImage Failed