Re: questions to be prepared for 0.26.0

> > - Will Garnome 0.26.0 (Gnome Desktop 2.4 beta) play nicely with my
> > current Gnome 2.2 settings? Any issues with up/down-grading and mixing
> > these desktops?
>
> To my knowledge most (if not all) things will work fine both ways. One
> thing that may break going backwards is the panel, though. The panels in
> 2.2 and 2.3 are quite different since all the panel types in 2.2 have
> been merged into one. I haven't tried going backwards myself, but it
> might just work.

OK, I will try it and keep my fingers crossed. ;)

Not that I plan to revert back, just in case, as this is my productive
system.

> > - Where can I fine-tune which apps to compile? I don't need all of them
> > and wanna speed up the compile. Particular I don't need Evolution and
> > Mozilla to be compiled (I do have the latest ones already on my machine)
> > and there are a couple of apps I simply do not need.
> > Where can I define particular apps to be not compiled? I could not find
> > any file with all compiled apps.
>
> In the Makefiles. If you use the meta garballs to install it, you can
> remove the unwanted applications there. Note that if you don't want to
> compile mozilla and still want epiphany or galeon, you need to edit the
> Makefile in the epiphany and/or galeon garballs respectively.

Well, I see -- or at least I hope so. It's a bit confusing digging
through all those Makefiles. But that's the price for a bleeding edge
Gnome desktop.

Does that mean, I still can compile epiphany, after I removed the
Mozilla dependency -- as long as Mozilla is present on my machine?

> I usually install the lot by running make install in the gnome dir. If
> you do this, you can just remove the garballs for the things you don't
> want to compile. You still need to adjust the dependencies in the
> individual Makefiles. Look for the LIB_DEPS lines.

Making the whole gnome dir is the same as making all the meta files
individually?

> > - Should I define the $GARCHIVE variable before compiling? And where
> > should it point to?
>
> That variable should point to a directory where you keep the downloaded
> tarballs. That way you can saev some bandwidth between Garnome releases.
>
> Since I install everything, the first thing I do after editing
> gar.conf.mk is to run make paranoid-garchive in the top Garnome
> directory. This will run through every garball, check if it is in my
> garchive already and if it isn't it will download it and copy it to the
> garchive dir. If something isn't kosher (unavailable versions, wrong
> checksums etc) it will abort at the error. That's what the paranoid-
> part does.

OK, so the $GARCHIVE variable should be set before compiling?

Can I remove all unneeded files after compile? And how? The compile dir
really occupied a lot of space.

> > Sorry, if some of my questions tend to be FAQs. I could not see any
> > answers to this on the list during the last weeks. TIA
>
> Hope that helps...

Yeah, thanks -- that gets me a big step further.

Another question: Should it be possible, to compile Garnome on a
different machine, with about the same tools installed -- and simply
copying the garnome dir after compile?

...guenther