Re: questions to be prepared for 0.26.0

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 20:21, guenther wrote:
> cheers (folks),
>

> To be as good prepared as possible, here are some questions:
>
> - Will Garnome 0.26.0 (Gnome Desktop 2.4 beta) play nicely with my
> current Gnome 2.2 settings? Any issues with up/down-grading and mixing
> these desktops?

To my knowledge most (if not all) things will work fine both ways. One
thing that may break going backwards is the panel, though. The panels in
2.2 and 2.3 are quite different since all the panel types in 2.2 have
been merged into one. I haven't tried going backwards myself, but it
might just work.

> - Where can I fine-tune which apps to compile? I don't need all of them
> and wanna speed up the compile. Particular I don't need Evolution and
> Mozilla to be compiled (I do have the latest ones already on my machine)
> and there are a couple of apps I simply do not need.
> Where can I define particular apps to be not compiled? I could not find
> any file with all compiled apps.

In the Makefiles. If you use the meta garballs to install it, you can
remove the unwanted applications there. Note that if you don't want to
compile mozilla and still want epiphany or galeon, you need to edit the
Makefile in the epiphany and/or galeon garballs respectively.

I usually install the lot by running make install in the gnome dir. If
you do this, you can just remove the garballs for the things you don't
want to compile. You still need to adjust the dependencies in the
individual Makefiles. Look for the LIB_DEPS lines.

> - Should I define the $GARCHIVE variable before compiling? And where
> should it point to?

That variable should point to a directory where you keep the downloaded
tarballs. That way you can saev some bandwidth between Garnome releases.

Since I install everything, the first thing I do after editing
gar.conf.mk is to run make paranoid-garchive in the top Garnome
directory. This will run through every garball, check if it is in my
garchive already and if it isn't it will download it and copy it to the
garchive dir. If something isn't kosher (unavailable versions, wrong
checksums etc) it will abort at the error. That's what the paranoid-
part does.

> Sorry, if some of my questions tend to be FAQs. I could not see any
> answers to this on the list during the last weeks. TIA

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Jens