Re: Newbiew question

Ramon Kagan wrote:

I've just completed a fresh install of Debian and have built garnome, as
well as gdm.  I'm running gdm from my home directory and  I followed the
instructions in the FAQ to setup my .xsession.  When I log in I only get a
xterm without borders, no mouse menus, etc.  Sort of like when you press
Shift-F1 for xdm to login in safe mode.  Any help on actually getting the
menus, control center, etc would be really appreciated.

Sounds like you have the same problem I was having. Your .xsession file isn't being used by /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession because the .xsession file is not executable. Maybe chmod +x ~/.xsession would correct the problem like it did for me.

Hope this helps.

regards,
syd.