Re: 0.18 build problem

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Sean Proctor">
> > The problem seems to be that fontconfig ships newer versions of Xft and
> > Xrender that are already current enough in your build, but not mine and
> > others.
>
> You might want to repeat that. :-)

yeah, "build" was rather vague.  I meant xfree86.  Xft and Xrender
headers/libraries are installed in xfree86.  I kind of installed Xrender
(it wasn't easy because it only has an Imakefile and I don't know how to
change the prefix with those... if it's possible), and Xft kept trying to
build against the Xrender from xfree86 not the one garnome installed.  I
moved the garnome Xrender to a different location and changed the #include
in Xft.h.  I think pango still tries to link against the xfree86 Xft
library though, not the fontconfig/garnome one.

> > I tried install Xrender, but that doesn't really work.  and fudging Xft
> > just made things break later on (on building pango).
> >
> > I'm running woody.  Xft seems like it wants me to install Xrender, but I'm
> > not sure how to have it use the garnome headers instead of the X11
> > headers.
>
> Hmm. I don't have a woody machine to hand, except for a 486DX with 16MB RAM,
> which won't really hack it for testing. We have to work out exactly what
> woody wants -> could you do some manual builds with fontconfig to see what
> works and what doesn't?
>
> If it's just a matter of installing fontconfig's Xrender, I can get that
> going for testing and then put it in the next GARNOME.

To me it seems like it's just getting Xft and Xrender installed and used
rather than using the versions that ship with xfree86.  short of
over-writing the xfree86 versions or adding the garnome lib path to
ld.so.conf before the xfree path I don't know a solution.  This feel
similar to the slackware FT problems.

Anyway, after installing Xrender by hand and playing around a while I got
it working.  What I did is by no means a good solution.  So if you have
better ideas I'm willing to test it out.

Sean