ppc users' questions ( XSETTINGS ... )

Yesterday I had time to revisit my garnome installation on my iBook for
the XSETTINGS issue. I reconfigured/rebuilt/reinstalled gtk+ (2.0.2) to
be completely sure. However - after a reboot the XSETTINGS error
remained.
Another thing I don't seem to get right is gtk theme/font switching. The
capplets work and if I select a different font/theme the next time the
capplet is started the right font/theme is still selected - however the
ui does not show any change.
Theme setting only works the .gtkrc-2.0 -.way but even then the font
stays the same.
This were a gnome2 - only sessions so gconf1 interference shouldn't have
happened.

Sorry for bringing this up again
Robert