Re: Panel

On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 06:56, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > Why would the config files be in the prefix? I'm assuming they're in /etc
> > primarily because it would be daft to put them elsewhere.
>
> So it seems that Slackware puts stuff that *ought* to be in $sysconfdir into
> the prefix. Thus, /etc is in /opt/gnome/etc. This is, to be frank, utterly
> braindead.
>
> If anyone has suggestions for handling this *gracefully* in the GConf
> Makefile, I'm all ears.

My apologies for not responding sooner--more crises at work, so I have
to redesign all of the data structures *again* .... <sigh!/>

Actually, what's happening with Slackware 8.0 is that the sources are
compiled with --prefix=/opt/gnome, which makes the GNOME sysconfdir
/opt/gnome/etc instead of /etc. It may be braindead, but it's the
default behavior for configure if you change the prefix.

'gnome-config --sysconfdir' will give you the correct path (and is
probably a better bet that 'gconf-config-1 --prefix'.

BUT--as I mentioned, Slackware 8.1 is putting GNOME back into the main
hierarchy and RC1 is available, so it will only be an issue for a very
short time.

Besides, Slackers *enjoy* having to make these kinds of tweaks... ;-)

Barthel
--
      ld_barthel yahoo com | http://geocities.com/ld_barthel

E Pluribus UNIX.