Solved - Debian 2.2 missing suitable docbook-xml, docbook-xsl

Further to my earlier post installing garnome-0.12.2 under Debian 2.2, I later ran into a difficulty with docbook packages installed with the Debian 2.2 distribution. These were:
ii  docbook        3.1-2          SGML DTD for software documentation
ii  docbook-doc    30d10-4        Documentation for the DocBook DTD.
ii docbook-styles 1.49-1 Modular DocBook stylesheets, for print and H ii docbook-xml 3.1.7.1-1 XML DTD for DocBook, also known as DocBk XML

I found it was necessary to remove these and install docbook-xml (Docbook DTD 4.1.2) + docbook-xsl (Docbook XSL Stylesheets) as suggested by the GARNOME FAQ ( http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/#configure ). Note the instructions below carry out manual installations completely unsanctioned, uncontrolled and unknown by the Debian package management system.

Here's a summary of how I did this, in case it's helpful to any other Debian 2.2 users... (N.B. This may leave an incomplete Docbook configuration for any sane purpose; I am not a Docbook/XML/SGML/XSL X-pert. My only objective was to provide enough framework to build GARNOME, which was apparently successful.)

# get relevant bit; see http://www.jimweller.net/jim/dbxmlqs/dbxmlqs-3.html :
# (it's assumed that all distribution files are downloaded into $HOME)
cd
wget http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbkx412.zip
# follow relevant parts of the recipe at http://www.jimweller.net/jim/dbxmlqs/dbxmlqs-4.html :
  export SGMLHOME=/usr/local/sgml
  mkdir -p $SGMLHOME/docbook/4.1.2xml/
cd $SGMLHOME/docbook/4.1.2xml/
unzip -a ~/docbkx412.zip
ln -s docbook.cat catalog

export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=$SGMLHOME/catalog
# now put the following 2 lines in the file $SGML_CATALOG_FILES :
CATALOG "/usr/local/sgml/docbook/4.1.2xml/catalog"
SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"; "docbook/4.1.2xml/docbookx.dtd"

cd
wget http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/docbook/docbook-
xsl-1.53.0.tar.gz
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/xml/stylesheets
cd /usr/local/lib/xml/stylesheets
tar -xzf ~/docbook-xsl-1.53.0.tar.gz
ln -s docbook-xsl-1.53.0 docbook-xsl
# (see http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/cygx2281.html )

### done!

Then I ran the fix in GARNOME FAQ 6. "# My build fails when /etc/xml/catalog or the Docbook DTD can't be found. How do I fix that?" - with minor variation as follows (see http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/#configure )

# as root, in garnome directory:
cd gnome/scrollkeeper
sysconfdir=/etc PATH=$HOME/garnome/bin:$PATH files/buildDocBookCatalog

GARNOME got over its Docbook gripes and continued to build for me after doing the above.

Toby