CORBA problem

when I start GNOME2 I get about 3 dialog boxes saying:
An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for
gnome-settings-daemon. Some of your configuration settings may not work
properly.
and similar things.  when I click details they say:
Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0
Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0
Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0
etc.

thanks,
Sean