Can't compile it fellas!

I have been using garnome*13.something* for like 6 months and loved each minute of it. I got interested in updating it, figured I had waited long enough, and downloaded the .18 garnome that is currently most current.

It will not compile on my 7.3 Redhat system

It runs for a *long* time (amd800 - 396mb ram) prehaps 2 hours and dies with a make error 2. I am having to email the list from windows and I did not write the exact error messages down. (sue me)

But I ASSumed some things.

1. `make install` from meta/gnome-desktop/ downloads a lot of stuff.... wouldn't it get everything it needed? I see it runs something like a configure and checks for compilers,etc for a lot of the downloads... it would error out there if it could right? and say "You need susch and such .lib" whatever. obviously one shouldnt be root here, right?
2. I created a 'new' user and tried it and it still bombs out after running 2 hours.
3. After a compile when I try and load it I get the splash screen, but it just stalls there and gdm after 30 sec's or so reasserts itself. I can log into other users but just not garnome which, of course, is what I want given I like bad-ass bleeding edge stuff. Which brings up question #4.
4. Should I just install Redhat8 and be done????

I'd rather not I have a heavily customized system. I have KDE liquid (mosfet) running for 1 user, etc, etc....

Any advice appreciated.