Re: Suggestions and Questions

> Just tried Metacity. Looks slightly faster than Sawfish.

I had the same experience. :-)

> I especially
> liked the simple window decorations. Although, when you resize the
> windows you can see a lot of window trails.

I am not sure what is to blame for this.

> Also, When I killed sawfish
> and started metacity on the command-line, it said
> Window manager warning: 0 stored in GConf key
> /apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces is not a reasonable number of
> workspaces, current maximum is 32

> And, When I tried looking in the GConf editor, I did not find the
> mentioned key/path/entry at all !!! No configuration entries in GConf
> editor for Metacity at all !!

Are those schema's installed for metacity?

> Also, Do you know if we there is something like disk defragmentation for
> Linux or not. And, If so, Do I have to run it often. I remember doing
> that in Windows OS speeds up it up a bit by rearranging stuff.

There is said to be something like that. But in all my years of Linux
use, I have not found a need for it. Back in the time I still used
Windows I noticed windows getting slower, but Linux doesn't seem to have
the same feature. :-D

Linux tries to allocate more consecutive blocks for new files so they
can grow without much fragmentation. And the kernel tries read-ahead and
uses cashes to increase performance even more.

-A.