Re: [gamin] New inotify backend checked in

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:01:32PM -0400, John McCutchan wrote:
> Yo,
>
> I just checked in a complete rewrite of the inotify backend. This new
> backend does not use the poll backend at all. This means that memory
> usage of this new backend is much lower because we don't have to
> maintain stat trees.

  Hum, I do not understand. I still expect that gamin will stop the
kernel monitoring for busy resources (if not what flow control do you
have at the kernel level to avoid continuously context-switching ?),
and in that case you need to maintain the stat() information to report
further changes or reenable kernel monitoring if not busy anymore.
So I don't understand, can you explain ?

> CPU usage is much lower than the dnotify backend,
> and slightly lower than the old inotify backend. This new backend passes
> all the test suite tests except for dnotift15, and the flood tests. It
> can't pass those tests because they rely on falling back on the poll
> backend.

  We should make the flood tests check for the deactivation of the
kernel monitoring, this could be different for inotify but this should
still be done. I need to double check dnotify15.py for analysis.

Daniel