Re: [gamin] gamin abstract socket bind() probem

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:39:23AM -0400, John McCutchan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:26:31AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   I have no idea why. I can't find when logging the applications what might be
> > going wrong and where. All the logs I collect only show correct behaviour
> > but I get that pop-up window if fam_server is not started before running
> > gnome-session. strace'ing broke the whole desktop startup altogether.
> > I don't see any application crash, so far the issue is still open, everything
> > seems to behave normally, the gnome-settings-daemon is actually running...
>
> I made a wrapper script around gam_server that outputted the debug
> log to a file. It is still the same problem of two gam_server's starting
> up. One succeeding in getting the socket the other failing.

 But failure to start should not kill the application, the client code
should just come back and it will retry to connect to the socket anyway.
Since the socket does exist at that point it should just be able to connect.

> gnome-settings-daemon is indeed running, but try changing your gtk theme
> in the theme manager and it will fail to notice it. One work around this
> is to add gam_server to your session and make sure it is loaded first.
>
> Maybe if the gam client retried for 5 seconds or until it connected to the
> gam_server or spawned a gam_server that works? But that still feels
> hacky to me.

  Why ? The client has to reissue a connection to the new server anyway,
whether it's the one it forked or another one, there is only one socket
registered at the system level, and connect'ing to it should work just fine
then.

Daniel