Mines 3.2.1: pausing broken

I am running Mines 3.2.1 in up-to-date Debian testing (wheezy). Exact
version information follows:

$ apt-cache policy gnomine
gnomine:
  Installed: 1:3.2.1-2
  Candidate: 1:3.2.1-2
  Version table:
     1:3.4.1-2 0
        800 http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
 *** 1:3.2.1-2 0
        900 http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

My desktop environment is XFCE.

$ apt-cache policy xfce4
xfce4:
  Installed: 4.8.0.3
  Candidate: 4.8.0.3
  Version table:
 *** 4.8.0.3 0
        900 http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
        800 http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

ISSUE #1. Expected behaviour: Mines pauses the game when the game
window loses focus. This is the behaviour I had before, and has
changed very recently (not sure when exactly).
         Observed behaviour: Game continues unpaused when the game
window loses focus.
         Suggested fix: Revert to old behaviour and/or provide an
option in Settings for the user to choose whether to pause or not.

ISSUE #2. The Game menu contains a Pause option, with Space listed as
the hotkey. However, while playing the game, the smiley face "new
game" button is always highlighted, and pressing Space causes this
button to activate, starting a new game instead of pausing the current
one.

--
Ronja Koistinen