Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:30:45 +0200
From: Vesa Paatero<vpaatero lavabit com>
To: games-list gnome org
Subject: Re: How to get the orbs of SameGnome back?

Hi,

I wrote and Jason responded:
  I and our children were recently disappointed to find that the orbs of
  SameGnome have been lost. Why on earth did you guys change the good-looking
  orbs of SameGnome to the plain squares of Swell Foop, without any option to
  use "legacy graphics" or anything?

  They were neither good looking nor scalable. The new engine has animation
  and the old one did not. By any objective measure, the new version is an
  improvement.

Come on, that's not really true. For example, the new script-based
system is slower: When you gather a large contiguous area of the
same color in Swell Foop and click to remove it, you
notice an extra delay... how clear it is, depends on your computer.

Mark wrote:
  Does Swell Foop use customizable /replaceable SVGs for its images? (all GNOME games really should)
  If so, couldn't someone remake the orbs "good looking" and in scalable SVG?

Thanks for suggesting. As to my case, I managed to install the game
by ripping apart the .deb package of an older version.

The high scores, however, no longer work in either game.
For Swell Foop, I can find the score files in /var/games and
see their reasonable contents, but the game won't show them.
(it is v1.0).

Vesa