Re: GGZ integration and packaging plans

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Josef Spillner wrote:
Hello,

the release planning for GGZ is heating up a bit, with version 1.0 to appear
around autumn. My suggestion would be that starting with GNOME 2.25, the
features of the new version should be used.

I'm looking very much forward to GGZ version 1.0!

In general, I would welcome new features from GGZ, as long as they
don't break too much of the existing network code in gnome-games.

One improvement in particular is
that each package can now have its own ggz.modules file and doesn't need to
run post-inst scripts to somehow merge the module descriptions. Instead,
AC_GGZ_CONFIG is simply called with the name of the package
(i.e. "gnome-games") as the third parameter and that's it.

I'm not sure exactly what this means, but anything to make things simpler would be nice.

In order to coordinate the release better, I would also like to know if there
are specific plans regarding multiplayer capabilities in GNOME games.

I don't think there are any specific plans for any large changes to the
multiplayer features. The one thing that I think would be nice to have some time in the future, is to start using the statistics features from GGZ, to have things like tournaments and online communities.

What about the glChess client code?

I think this code works well, but it is separate from GGZ at the moment.

What about the changes to libggz-gtk
on both sides, is anyone planning a review of those?

There are no such plans. Is there a need for it?

Another area looking for Gtk+ coders is the display of player photos or
avatars. The current games don't do that yet, e.g. as part of the
seats/spectators dialogue, but it would be a highly appreciated addition. It
would already work with the current code, i.e. 0.0.14, and most likely needs
some asynchronous picture loading code.

This seems like a good idea.

 - Andreas