Re: Hitori

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 09:12 +0200, Thomas H.P. Andersen wrote:
> I'd love to have this game included in gnome-games. Same goes for a
> kakuro game and other new cool games (gbrainy looks cool too). Getting
> sudoku and chess in was really nice. However, we have to consider both
> the total size of the games and the experience from the last inclusion
> of new games. We still have crasher bugs left in those. New games need
> to be stable and really well tested before they go in.

I wasn't around for the discussion/flamewar/whatever when the last new
game was brought into gnome-games, so could someone enlighten me as to
what basically happened? Was it just that they were unstable?

> Taking an "aisleriot" approach for gnome-sudoku is a possibility but I
> think it will require a lot of work. We'll also have to come up with a
> name for the application that covers all the games included. That
> would imo be bad as we'd hide the sudoku/hitori/kakuro names from the
> menu list.

Agreed.

> If we want new games in the collection we would either have to drop
> other games or expand the collection size. I'm not sure the latter is
> an option. There are games that I personally would like to exchange
> for newer games. However I've read comments like "I'm going to kill
> anybody that removes game X from gnome-games" so I guess we should do
> another vote like Andreas did. I'm waiting for my @gnome.org account
> to set up a blog to get such a vote going.
>
> - Thomas H.P. Andersen

Is it just a filesize thing? If it is, I could point out that the 0.1
tarball of Hitori is only 370KiB in size, and the inclusion of an icon
-- which is the only bitmap graphic I plan to include (once someone
makes one) -- would only increase this a little.

Philip