Re: I am a Beginner, help please

Hi Vincent,

If your distro can install gnome-common for you, that may work better.
Otherwise, you will have to set some environment variables so the
configure script can find the gnome-common you installed to home:

export PATH=/home/madhu/gnome-builds/sbin:/home/madhu/gnome-builds/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/madhu/gnome-builds/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/madhu/gnome-builds/lib/pkgconfig

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am extremely sorry for not having replied so many days. I was busy with exams. Even after doing this I am not able to get the things done. These are the steps I followed
madhu madhusudancs:~/gnome-common$ ./autogen --prefix=/home/madhu/gnome-builds
madhu madhusudancs:~/gnome-common$ make install

After this I got it into the directory ~/gnome-games and when I typed
./autogen --prefix=/home/madhu/gnome-builds I got the following output

madhu madhusudancs:~/gnome-games$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/madhu/gnome-builds/
/usr/local/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
checking for autoconf >= 2.53...
  testing autoconf2.50... not found.
  testing autoconf... found 2.61
checking for automake >= 1.9...
  testing automake-1.10... found 1.10
checking for libtool >= 1.4.3...
  testing libtoolize... found 1.5.24
checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
  testing glib-gettextize... found 2.14.1
checking for intltool >= 0.25...
  testing intltoolize... found 0.36.2
checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
  testing pkg-config... found 0.22
checking for gnome-doc-utils >= 0.10.0...
  testing gnome-doc-prepare... found 0.12.0
Checking for required M4 macros...
  gnome-common.m4 not found
  gnome-compiler-flags.m4 not found
***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build Gnome Games
  were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
  macros were found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your
  ACLOCAL_FLAGS?

madhu madhusudancs:~/gnome-games$

Please Help me.

- Thanks and Regards
   Madhusudan.C.S

PS: In a private mail to Vincent I have told that the gnome-builds directory was empty. Sorry it was my mistake. What I have said above is what is actually happening on my system.