Re: Aisleriot / mingw32

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Christian Persch wrote:

> * sol.c:about_url_hook needs to use the win32 calls to open the browser
> URL
> * sol.c needs to implement a win32 specific help hook, and you need to
> find a way to convert the documentation from docbook to the windows help
> format. (For maemo I just converted them to XHTML with gnome-doc-tool
> from gnome-doc-utils and use the web browser to show them.)

Windows help uses compiled html (CHM) but there is very little point going
the extra step converting once you have HTML (or a PDF) and I really
wouldn't recommend it at all.  (Very much looking forward to
library.gnome.org having HTML versions of all kinds of Gnome Documentation
on the web.)  I use various pieces of Gtk and other open source software
on windows and not once has a user stepped up to produce CHM in a way that
could actually be maintained (I'm not sure I've even seen anyone bother do
a one off conversion, think maybe someone converted the GIMP docs to PDF
but not CHM.)

Very much looking forward to trying this, will make it that much easier to
work on Aisleriot when I don't have the option to run Gnome.

If are interested in packaging this up in an installer I'll look at
repurposing my work from Abiword which uses the Nullsoft Installer System
(NSIS) and has suffered years of abuse ^W^W is well though and heavily
used.  (You might prefer Inno installer but it has a slightly more
restrictive yet still Open Source license.  The syntax of NSIS may be a
little ugly at first glance but the wealth of detailed examples and large
surrounding community more than mitigate that minor issue.)

--
Alan