Re: extra-data to be released in 12 hours

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 13:58 +0100, Fran YUSTE-GARCIA wrote:
> Hi, Jason.
>
> 2007/1/22, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com>:
> > I am going to make the release of extra-data in less than 12 hours. If
> > you have some last minute change you want in for Beta 1, email me and
> > let me know so that I can plan accordingly.
>
> Some time ago, I drew a deck[1] for playing Spanish games.
> It is a bit hard to render, but they are nice and the unique deck with
> such pictures.
> BTW, I changed the license, as some gnome-games mailing list members asked.

I am all for including this in extra-data now that the license will
work. But I would like to give a little opportunity for discussion
before we included it. If no one has an objection, we will include it in
the very next release of extra-data.

> I designed  an AI game[2] as graduation project. In my opinion it is
> not enough clever and efficient, so I think about using libfann[3]
> from the scheme code.
>
> What I'm trying to explain is: I know that Rentoy is not a good
> candidate to be included in a default gnome-game package, because
> every game should run properly even in slow machines.
>
> But I crossed the hell of i10n.
> What do you propose in order to integrate the online help easily?
>
> Perhaps, I'm wrong, but from my point of view the i10n process is:
> writing marked code -> generating a .po file -> translating in a .xml.
>
> Realize that although I am writing marked scheme (in Spanish), what I
> am doing now is copying an XML file in a ES online help's branch, as
> you can see in my Makefile:
>
> <piece of Makefile code>
> install-help:
> 	if [ ! -d $(HELPDIR_ES) ]; then cp -R $(HELPDIR)/C $(HELPDIR_ES); fi;
> 	install -m 644 help/aisleriot-es.omf $(OMFDIR)
> 	for i in $(HELPS); do \
> 		install -m 644 help/$$i $(HELPDIR_ES); \
> 	done
> </piece of Makefile code>
>
> Rentoy is more than a game.
> It also can be the launchpad for other Spanish games.

What work do you think would be required to integrate Rentoy with
Aisleriot? Would Aisleriot need to run-time detect the availability of a
spanish card deck theme and then and only then make Rentoy and other
Spanish card games available? What are you thoughts on how to approach
this? (For the purposes of technical discussion, assume that extra-data
is where the Spanish card desks would live.)

As for the internationalization issues, I can see that conditionally
generating help files that include Rentoy could be a difficult task. We
should probably think about this problem more...