Re: Translation licences

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Josef Spillner wrote:

Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2007 18:31 schrieben Sie:
gnome-games is licensed with the GPL version 2, and the translations are
licensed with the same license. The GPL and LGPL licenses are compatible,
so you can use either license if you want to:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

I'm not sure about this. If a translator explicitly wishes his works to be
under GPL, then it shouldn't be possible to re-use the translations in LGPL
packages, which would allow the translation to be used in proprietary
software which build upon ggz-client-libs or any other LGPL'd library for
that matter.

By importing ggz-client-libs into GNOME SVN, the LGPL was "upgraded" to GPL,
but it cannot be downgraded again for any modifications.

Do you have any references for this? I would prefer to be pragmatic, and use stuff from either license, and share stuff both ways. According to the above link, the LGPL is GPL compatible: "It is compatible with the GNU GPL."

 - Andreas