Re: About GtkGLExt / glChess

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 22:23 +0200, Andreas Røsdal wrote:
> How do people feel about adding GtkGLExt as a library dependency on
> gnome-games, if glChess would be selected as a new game?
>From the official GNOME platform perspective dependencies that aren't
officially part of GNOME either have to get a special exemption (as a
"blessed" dependency) or be compile-time configurable so it isn't a hard
dependency.

Historically we have gone for the later solution: the use of guile in
Aisleriot and the use of C++ for gnometris and blackjack are both
decided at compile time. If guile or C++ isn't installed, we don't
compile the games. Doing the same here would be reasonable since I think
GtkGLExt is reasonably widely deployed and distros would probably build
glChess by default. Of course, having a mode where it would still work
if GL wasn't present would be even better, but maybe too much work to
make it worthwhile.